SNAP, otherwise known as food stamps is a benefits assistance program that helps limited-income individuals and families buy the food they need in order to stay healthy. If you live in the Bronx, New York, and need help with SNAP, we can help. In this post, we will review everything you need to know about Bronx Food Stamps – including eligibility, how to apply for benefits in the Bronx, ACCESS HRA login help, and how much you will get in SNAP if approved.
Before we get into New York eligibility guidelines, first, we will explain what SNAP is about and who is eligible to apply.
Next, we will explain the income guidelines in detail, which are the most important eligibility criteria.
We will then walk you through the 3 ways you can apply for SNAP in the Bronx, New York.
Also, we will walk you through how much you are likely to receive in SNAP if you are approved.
Furthermore, we will explain the restaurant meals program in Stanislaus County and how you can use your EBT card to buy food at restaurants and fast food places if you are eligible.
Lastly, we will provide the contact information for the SNAP Center Office in the Bronx, including the phone number and hours of operation.
Table of Contents:
- Who is Eligible for Food Stamps in the Bronx, NY?
- Can I Get New York City SNAP as an Immigrant?
- SNAP Eligibility Interview
- How do I apply for Food Stamps in Brookly, NY?
- Can I get SNAP right away or within a few days of applying?
- New York ACCESS HRA Login Help
- How Much Will I Get in New York SNAP?
- Bronx SNAP Office Contact Information
- Frequently Asked Questions about Food Stamp in the Bronx
What are SNAP Benefits?
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits help you pay for food. You can use SNAP at grocery stores, supermarkets, and farmer’s markets.
Anyone can apply for SNAP benefits.
You may be eligible even if you have a job, receive SSI or disability benefits, own a home, or own a car.
If you are eligible and approved for benefits, you will receive SNAP benefits within 30 days.
Additionally, certain households with little income or savings, or with high housing costs, can receive SNAP benefits within five days (see below for details).
Nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers receive SNAP benefits, a number that has increased amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who is Eligible for Food Stamps in Bronx, NY?
SNAP benefits are for:
- Individuals or families
- People who work for low wages, work part-time, or are unemployed
- Those who receive TANF or Safety Net
- People who are elderly or disabled and have a limited income
- People who are homeless or are in a shelter for domestic violence
Can I Get New York City SNAP as an Immigrant?
In general, only U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or immigrants with a qualified alien (also known as
qualified immigrant) status can qualify for federal, state, and city benefits, including Food Stamps.
The following immigrants are considered qualified and can get SNAP or food stamps:
- Lawful Permanent Resident (Permanent Resident Alien or Green Card Holder)
- Lawfully residing active duty service member or honorably discharged veteran and their families
- Immigrants whose deportation or removal is being withheld
- Cuban or Haitian entrant
- Trafficked immigrant (T visa holders)
- Immigrants granted parole in the United States (for at least one year)
- Battered immigrant spouses and children of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents
SNAP Eligibility Interview
In order to complete the eligibility process, an interview with you or your authorized representative is required. The interview may be done by phone or in person.
During the interview, your application will be reviewed and you will be given time to submit proof of your income, expenses, and other information.
Documents you may be asked to submit include:
- Proof of Identity (photo ID, birth certificate, Social Security card)
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Birth certificates for all children in the household
- Proof of shelter expenses (rent receipt, lease or mortgage)
- Proof of utility expenses (e.g., National Grid bill)
- Bank statement(s)
- Proof of income (child support letter, SS benefits statement, pay stubs, SSI award letters, etc.)
- Medical bills (if you are disabled and/or senior)
- Child care expenses
What are the Income Limits for SNAP in New York?
|New York City SNAP Income Eligibility Standards|
for Fiscal Year 2022
|Effective October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022|
|Household Size||Households without earned income||Households with earned income|
|Each additional member||492||568|
The Maximum Gross Monthly Income limits that are shown in the table below are effective
October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022.
Different income limits are used for SNAP households that:
• Have a person with a disability or 60 years of age or older; or
• Pay dependent care expenses
If everyone in your household receives SSI, TANF, or SNA, you do not need to meet any
How do I apply for Food Stamps in Bronx, NY?
If you have reviewed the New York City SNAP Eligibility Guidelines and believe you may qualify for EBT benefits, the next step is to submit your application.
To apply, there are four ways you can submit your NYC SNAP Application – online, over the phone, in-person, and by mail.
See below for details:
1. Apply Online
The easiest option is to apply online. Click here for information on how to apply online through the myHRA system.
2. Apply Over the Phone
3. Print Out the Application and Mail/Fax it In.
4. Apply in Person
1375 Jerome Avenue
Bronx, NY 10452
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
1910 Monterey Avenue
Bronx, NY 10457
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
This center includes a children’s area that does not provide supervision.
845 Barretto Street
Bronx, NY 10474
Work Requirements (8:30 am to 9:00 am only)
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Can I get SNAP right away or within a few days of applying?
- Your household has $100 or less in liquid resources and less than $150 in gross monthly income.
- You are a migrant or seasonal farmworker household with $100 or less in liquid resources and you have not received any income since you applied for SNAP, or
- Your household’s monthly income and liquid resources together are less than the total of your monthly rent or mortgage and heating costs and utilities (electricity, telephone, and water).
However, you will still have to complete the eligibility process and supply the requested documentation at a later date.
New York ACCESS HRA Login Help
With an ACCESS HRA account, you can perform the following tasks online regarding the NYC SNAP program:
- Apply for SNAP
- Recertify your SNAP Benefits
- Report required information
- Make changes to your Case
Follow the instructions below for help logging in to your ACCESS HRA online account.
Step 1 – Visit ACCESS HRA Account Website
To start the login process for your ACCESS HRA account, visit the ACCESS HRA account website at https://a069-access.nyc.gov/accesshra.
Once you are on the homepage you will need to locate the “Apply Now/Log In” button, which is usually located in the middle part of the site (see image below).
The “Log In” link can also be found at the top of the page.
Click on the “Log In” button to proceed with the process.
Step 2 – Enter username and Password
Next, you will be taken to a page where you will be required to enter your account email address/username and password, as shown below.
Once you enter the correct email address/username and password, click “Log In” to continue, as shown by the image below.
Step 4 – View your account
If you entered the correct email address/username and password, you will be automatically taken to your ACCESS HRA account page, as shown below.
Once there, you can perform a variety of tasks, including applying for:
- Federal Emergency Rental Assistance
- Food Stamps/SNAP
- Cash Assistance
- Discounts on Subway Fares
Step 5 – First Time Login
When you first log in to your ACCESS HRA account, you will see the page below.
Enter the requested information below to proceed with your SNAP application.
Download ACCESS HRA Mobile App
ACCESS HRA has a mobile app that is available for both Apple and Android devices.
With the ACCESS HRA mobile app, you can view:
- SNAP (Food Stamps) / Cash Assistance (CA) case status
- EBT balance
- Recent payments
- Upcoming appointments
- Documents on file
- Fair Fares NYC enrollment information
- Required documents for your SNAP (Food Stamps) or Cash Assistance (CA) case or Fair Fares NYC application
Additionally, you can upload the requested documents as part of your application and recertification.
To download the ACCESS HRA app:
How Much Will I Get in New York SNAP?
Use the chart below to find the Maximum SNAP Allotment Amount for your household size.
|Household Size||Maximum SNAP Benefit|
|Each additional member||(+$188)|
The Bronx, NY SNAP Office Contact Information
Here’s how to contact the Bronx, NY SNAP Office regarding your SNAP benefits:
There are four SNAP offices in the Bronx, broken down by area. Here is a list of each office by area and the corresponding phone and fax number:
All offices are open Monday – Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Frequently Asked Questions about Food Stamp in the Bronx
Check out our list of frequently asked questions related to the food stamps in the Bronx.
How Will I Receive my SNAP Benefits?
If you are approved for SNAP benefits, your monthly benefit amount will be deposited electronically onto an Electronic Transfer Benefit (EBT) card.
The New York EBT Card, also known as the Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC), works like a debit card.
EBT cards can be used at a variety of stores throughout New York to purchase eligible food items.
For a complete list of the items you can purchase with your New York EBT Card, check out our post here.
Furthermore, certain categories of New York SNAP recipients can use their EBT benefits to purchase food at approved restaurants and fast food places.
This is under the New York Restaurant Meals program.
See our detailed post about the New York Restaurant Meals program and how to qualify.
Additionally, you can purchase groceries online using your New York SNAP EBT card, and have them delivered through the following grocery stores:
- BJs Wholesale Club
- Ferreira Foodtown
- Food Bazaar
- Manhattan Fruit Market
- My Foodtown
- Price Chopper Supermarkets
- Stop & Shop
- Tops Market
As you can see from the list, you can purchase groceries online on Amazon. See our Amazon Grocery Online Guide here.
What is Pandemic EBT (P-EBT)?
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 authorized the payment of P-EBT food benefits to households with children who would have received free school lunches under the National School Lunch Act if schools had not closed.
These temporary food benefits are to help cover the cost of meals children would have received at school.
Can I use my SNAP benefits at Farmers Markets in the Bronx?
Additionally, if you live in NYC, you can stretch your SNAP dollars through the Health Bucks program.
Health Bucks are $2 coupons that can be used to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at all NYC farmers’ markets.
Below is a list of some of the farmers’ markets that accept EBT in the Bronx.
Click here for the full list and further details about each location.
Harvest Home N Central Bronx Farmers’ Market
Jerome Ave and East Mosholu Pkwy North
Bronx, NY 10467
Hours: Wed, 8am-4pm
Lincoln Hospital Greenmarket
East 149th St and Morris Ave
Bronx, NY 10451
Hours: Tues/Fri, 8am-3pm
White Plains Rd & Westchester Ave
Bronx, NY 10472
Hours: Fri, 8am-4pm
Bronx Borough Hall Greenmarket
901 Grand Concourse
Bronx, NY 10451
Hours: Tues, 8am-4pm
La Familia Verde Farmers’ Market
East Tremont Ave and Arthur Ave
Bronx, NY 10457
Hours: Tues, 8am-2pm
Eastchester GrowNYC Farm Stand
E 229th St at Schieffelin Ave
Bronx, NY 10466
Hours: Thu 9:30am-3pm
Harvest Home Jacobi Hospital Fri Farmers Market
1400 Pelham Parkway
Bronx, NY 10461
Hours: Fri, 8am-4pm
Can I get Free or Discounted Museum Tickets with EBT Card?
Yes, with your New York EBT Card, you can get free or discounted admission to museums and other family-friendly places like Aquariums and Zoos, including participating locations in New York City.
Here are some popular programs that offer this benefit to SNAP cardholders:
Here’s a list of some of the participating locations:
Brooklyn Children’s Museum
The Brooklyn Children’s Museum provides free or discounted Play Session tickets to EBT/SNAP cardholders.
145 Brooklyn Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11213
Thursday & Friday: 2pm–5pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10am–1pm & 2pm–5pm (closed 1pm-2pm for cleaning)
Long Island Explorium Children’s Museum of Science & Engineering
101 East Broadway Port Jeff Harbor
Port Jefferson, New York 11777 United States
Saturday: 1:00 PM – 5:00pm
Sunday: 1:00 PM – 5:00pm
The Long Island Explorium Children’s Museum of Science & Engineering offers FREE admission for SNAP/EBT cardholders and family members within their household.
Talk to one of their staff members to obtain an annual membership.
International Center of Photography
79 Essex Street
New York, New York 10002 United States
Admission is $3 for SNAP/EBT Card Holders.
What can I buy with New York EBT?
You can use your New York SNAP benefits to buy groceries, snacks, and seeds or plants that will produce food.
However, you cannot use SNAP to purchase alcohol, tobacco products, vitamins, live animals, prepared foods, or any non-food household items.
Here’s a complete guide on what you can and cannot purchase with your SNAP EBT card:
What items can be purchased with SNAP Benefits?
- Food or food products meant to be eaten by people
- Seeds to grow vegetables and plants that provide food, such as basil or tomato
- Baby formula, diabetic, and diet foods
- Spices, herbs, pectin, shortening, and other edible items used for cooking
- Water and ice labeled for human consumption
- Snack foods
What items cannot be purchased with SNAP Benefits?
- Prepared hot foods in grocery stores
- Any prepared food (hot or cold) sold and meant to be eaten at the store
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
- Cleaning products, paper products, toiletries, and cooking utensils
- Pet supplies
- Items for food preservation such as canning jars and lids, freezer containers, or food wrapping paper
- Medicines, vitamins, or minerals
- Items for gardening such as fertilizer and peat moss
Bronx Food Stamps Summary
We hope our Bronx Food Stamps Guide was helpful to you! If you found this article helpful, please share it using the “Share this” button below.
If you have more questions about the New York food stamp program or your SNAP EBT benefits, please let us know in the comments section below. We’re here to help!
Also, be sure to check out our other articles about New York SNAP and New York EBT, including:
New York to Get 25% SNAP Increase
Get Free Admissions with New York EBT Card
New York P-EBT Extension for 2021
How to Get a Free Phone With New York Food Stamps
Free Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaways in NYC
List of Food Pantries in the Bronx