SNAP, otherwise known as food stamps is a benefits assistance program that helps limited-income individuals and families buy the food they need in order to stay healthy. If you live in Rochester, New York, and need help with SNAP, we can help. In this post, we will review everything you need to know about Rochester Food Stamps – including eligibility, how to apply for benefits in Rochester, Mybenefits.ny.gov login help, and how much you will get in SNAP if approved.
Before we get into New York eligibility guidelines, first, we will explain what SNAP is about and who is eligible to apply.
Next, we will explain the income guidelines in detail, which are the most important eligibility criteria.
We will then walk you through the 3 ways you can apply for SNAP in Rochester, New York.
Also, we will walk you through how much you are likely to receive in SNAP if you are approved.
Lastly, we will provide the contact information for the SNAP Center Office in Rochester, including the phone number and hours of operation.
Table of Contents:
- Who is Eligible for Food Stamps in Rochester, NY?
- Can I Get New York SNAP as an Immigrant?
- SNAP Eligibility Interview
- How do I apply for Food Stamps in Rochester, NY?
- Can I get SNAP right away or within a few days of applying?
- New York Mybenefits.ny.gov Login Help
- How Much Will I Get in New York SNAP?
- Rochester SNAP Office Contact Information
- Frequently Asked Questions about Food Stamp in Rochester
What are SNAP Benefits?
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits help you pay for food. You can use SNAP at grocery stores, supermarkets, and farmer’s markets.
Anyone can apply for SNAP benefits.
You may be eligible even if you have a job, receive SSI or disability benefits, own a home, or own a car.
If you are eligible and approved for benefits, you will receive SNAP benefits within 30 days.
Additionally, certain households with little income or savings, or with high housing costs, can receive SNAP benefits within five days (see below for details).
Nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers receive SNAP benefits, a number that has increased amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who is Eligible for Food Stamps in Rochester, NY?
SNAP benefits are for:
- Individuals or families
- People who work for low wages, work part-time or are unemployed
- Those who receive TANF or Safety Net
- People who are elderly or disabled and have a limited income
- People who are homeless or are in a shelter for domestic violence
Can I Get New York City SNAP as an Immigrant?
In general, only U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or immigrants with a qualified alien (also known as
qualified immigrant) status can qualify for federal, state, and city benefits, including Food Stamps.
The following immigrants are considered qualified and can get SNAP or food stamps:
- Lawful Permanent Resident (Permanent Resident Alien or Green Card Holder)
- Lawfully residing active duty service member or honorably discharged veteran and their families
- Immigrants whose deportation or removal is being withheld
- Cuban or Haitian entrant
- Trafficked immigrant (T visa holders)
- Immigrants granted parole in the United States (for at least one year)
- Battered immigrant spouses and children of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents
SNAP Eligibility Interview
In order to complete the eligibility process, an interview with you or your authorized representative is required. The interview may be done by phone or in person.
During the interview, your application will be reviewed and you will be given time to submit proof of your income, expenses, and other information.
Documents you may be asked to submit include:
- Proof of Identity (photo ID, birth certificate, Social Security card)
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Birth certificates for all children in the household
- Proof of shelter expenses (rent receipt, lease or mortgage)
- Proof of utility expenses (e.g., National Grid bill)
- Bank statement(s)
- Proof of income (child support letter, SS benefits statement, pay stubs, SSI award letters, etc.)
- Medical bills (if you are disabled and/or senior)
- Child care expenses
What are the Income Limits for SNAP in New York?
|New York City SNAP Income Eligibility Standards|
for Fiscal Year 2022
|Effective October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022|
|Household Size||Households without earned income||Households with earned income|
|Each additional member||+492||+568|
The Maximum Gross Monthly Income limits that are shown in the table below are effective
October 1, 2021 – September 30, 2022.
Different income limits are used for SNAP households that:
• Have a person with a disability or 60 years of age or older; or
• Pay dependent care expenses
If everyone in your household receives SSI, TANF, or SNA, you do not need to meet any
How do I apply for Food Stamps in Rochester, NY?
There are four (4) ways you can apply for food stamps in Rochester:
1. Apply Online
2. Apply Over the Phone
3. Print Out the Application and Mail/Fax it In.
4. Apply in Person
Monroe County DSS
Rochester, NY – 14620
Rochester, NY 14605
Hours: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Walk-in applications are accepted Monday – Friday between these hours
Can I get SNAP right away or within a few days of applying?
- Your household has $100 or less in liquid resources and less than $150 in gross monthly income.
- You are a migrant or seasonal farmworker household with $100 or less in liquid resources and you have not received any income since you applied for SNAP, or
- Your household’s monthly income and liquid resources together are less than the total of your monthly rent or mortgage and heating costs and utilities (electricity, telephone, and water).
However, you will still have to complete the eligibility process and supply the requested documentation at a later date.
Mybenefits.ny.gov Login Help
With a mybenefits.ny.gov account, you can perform the following tasks online regarding the New York SNAP program:
- Apply for HEAP
- See Eligibility and Apply for SNAP/Food Stamps
- Apply for Public Assistance
- Continue Application
- Track Application
- Recertify Benefits
- Report Changes
- View Case Details
- Submit Verification Documents
Follow the instructions below for help logging in to your mybenefits.ny.gov online account.
Step 1 – Visit Mybenefits.ny.gov Account Website
To start the login process for your mybenefits.ny.gov account, visit the website at https://mybenefits.ny.gov/mybenefits/begin.
Once you are on the homepage you will need to locate the “LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT” button, which is usually at the bottom part of the site (see image below).
Click on the “LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT” button to proceed with the process, as shown below.
Step 2 – Enter username and Password
Next, you will be taken to a page where you will be required to enter your account username and password, as shown below.
Once you enter the correct username and password, click “Sign In” to continue, as shown by the image below.
Step 4 – View your account
If you entered the correct username and password, you will be automatically taken to your mybenefits.ny.gov account page, as shown below.
Once there, you can perform a variety of tasks as listed above, including:
- Start New Benefits Application
- Start New Recertification Application
- View Case Details or Report a Change
- Update myBenefits Account
Forgot Username and Password
If you do not remember your login credentials, follow the instructions below:
If you do not remember your username, click on the “Forgot your Username” link, as shown below.
Next, You will then be taken to a page where you have to provide your:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
Enter the information requested, check the “I’m not a robot” box, and click “Email me the Username” to retrieve your username.
If you entered the correct information, your username will be emailed to you.
Next, check your email to retrieve your username.
If you forgot your password, click on the “Forgot your Password” link as shown in the image above.
Next, You will then be taken to a page where you have to provide your username to retrieve your password.
Once you enter your username, check the “I’m not a robot” link and click “Continue” to proceed.
If you entered the correct username, you will be taken to a page where you will be provided options on how to reset your password.
Make a selection by checking the appropriate box and click “Continue” to proceed with the password reset process.
Follow the instructions provided next to reset your mybenefits.ny.gov account password.
How Much Will I Get in New York SNAP?
Use the chart below to find the Maximum SNAP Allotment Amount for your household size.
|Household Size||Maximum SNAP Benefit|
|Each additional member||(+$188)|
Rochester, NY SNAP Office Contact Information
Here’s how to contact the Rochester, NY SNAP Office regarding your SNAP and other benefits:
Monroe County Department of Human Services
SNAP Benefit Questions:
Cash Benefit Questions:
Medicaid Benefit Questions:
Child Support Questions:
Phone: 585 753-6998
Fax: 585 753-6296
Frequently Asked Questions about Food Stamp in Rochester
Check out our list of frequently asked questions related to the food stamps in Rochester.
How Will I Receive my SNAP Benefits?
If you are approved for SNAP benefits, your monthly benefit amount will be deposited electronically onto an Electronic Transfer Benefit (EBT) card.
The New York EBT Card, also known as the Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC), works like a debit card.
EBT cards can be used at a variety of stores throughout New York to purchase eligible food items.
For a complete list of the items you can purchase with your New York EBT Card, check out our post here.
Furthermore, certain categories of New York SNAP recipients can use their EBT benefits to purchase food at approved restaurants and fast food places.
This is under the New York Restaurant Meals program.
See our detailed post about the New York Restaurant Meals program and how to qualify.
Additionally, you can purchase groceries online using your New York SNAP EBT card, and have them delivered through the following grocery stores:
- BJs Wholesale Club
- Ferreira Foodtown
- Food Bazaar
- Manhattan Fruit Market
- My Foodtown
- Price Chopper Supermarkets
- Stop & Shop
- Tops Market
As you can see from the list, you can purchase groceries online on Amazon. See our Amazon Grocery Online Guide here.
Can I use my SNAP benefits at Farmers Markets in Rochester?
Yes. Many farmers’ markets accept SNAP EBT in Rochester and surrounding communities. See the list below:
Note: “FCC” is FreshConnect Checks that are available to SNAP EBT card users.
Rochester Public Market-Saturday
280 N. Union St. off East Main St.
Rochester Public Market -Thursday
280 N. Union St. off East Main St.
Partyka Farms Farm Stand
1420 County Line Rd. Kendall
Rochester Public Market -Tuesday
280 N. Union St. off East Main St.
Brightly’s Farm Market
525 Drake Rd. Hamlin
Daily 9am-5pm, Friday 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-6pm
Rochester Food Stamps Summary
We hope our Rochester Food Stamps Guide was helpful to you! If you found this article helpful, please share it using the “Share this” button below.
If you have more questions about the New York food stamp program or your SNAP EBT benefits, please let us know in the comments section below. We’re here to help!
Also, be sure to check out our other articles about New York SNAP and New York EBT, including:
New York to Get 25% SNAP Increase
Does Wegmans take EBT in New York?
36 Energy Drink You Can Buy with SNAP
How to Get a Free Phone With New York Food Stamps
Free Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaways in NYC
What Expenses are deducted for SNAP Benefits?
How to get Food Stamps in Buffalo, New York
Does Trader Joe’s take SNAP EBT